Saint Laurent du pape
- Height : between 100 and 500 meters.
- Population : 1506 inhabitants.
- Name of the inhabitan : Papin(e).
Saint-Laurent-du-Pape is located on the riverside of the Eyrieux, stretched along the departmental road of the Eyrieux and on the hills of the North and the South of the Valley. This area was destined to arboriculture but today many residences occupy it.
In the past, the main culture of the village was vineyard who was replaced by peach, apricot and cherry orchards. The peach trees were particularly famous for their exceptional quality and taste, which made from Saint-Laurent-du-Pape a renounced village for years.
- The peaches
- (C. Fougeirol)
- The girl of peaches
- (C. Fougeirol)
The village is protected from the mistral, as string Northern wind and shelters two churches, the one catholic, the other protestant. Their towers emerge from the pink flowers of peach trees enchaining the Valley in spring. The name of ‘’Pape’’ (Pope) appeared for the first time in the mention ‘’moulin du Pape’’ (pope’s mill). This mill was owned by the abbess of Soyons, certainly located near the central plain and it might have given its name to that place. When the mill becomes flourishing, a bigger and bigger let was built, especially after the construction of the Eyrieux Bridge.
The name of the mill was forgetter to become the ‘’pape’’ (‘’pope’’). The ‘’pape’’ was limited to the place and the mill located on the riverside of the Eyrieux downriver from the bridge. Saint-Laurent was the name of the church’s quarter.
The old lord’s castle of Pierregourde surrounding the abandoned village was built in the 17th Century.
- The Castle of Bousquet
- (J-L Civat)
In Saint-Laurent, the Bousquet castle was built from the middle of the 16th Century by Alexandre de la Marette, baron of Pierregourde. Classed as historical monument, it was bought by the town of Saint-Laurent-du-Pape in 1994.
The Hauteville castle was build more recently and sheltered the love affair of the Vichet marchioness and Chateaubriand. It is a private domain.
You can go across the Royas quarter by using the old railway going up in the whole Valley to Saint-Agrève. It’s currently a green way. Royas was a true city from 1790 to 1821 and owes a church dating from the 16th Century. The parish was closed in 1807 and was linked to Saint-Laurent-du-Pape. Today the church has one other flour which sheltered a silk culture in the 19th Century and row it’s a habitation. Its ground flow always shelters the rave.
At the limit of the city but on the territory of Saint-Fortunat, you’ll find Pont Pierre, a Roman bridge destroyed by a swelling of the Eyrieux in the 17th Century, whose ruins are visible.
The village of Saint-Laurent is also rich in little built heritage: stairs, and tuning street, walls, parapets gates, washtubs, fountains, carals, protestant cemeteries, cultures on terraces awaiting to be discovered by you.
- July, 13 : Village’s fair.
- November : ‘’La rôtie des papins’’, a culinary speciality based on chestnuts.